You can use classic basil pesto to top this light soup, or add a twist with a different base: rocket, coriander or even mint.
By Preethi Vemu
- Chick peas - 1 C, soaked in water overnight
- Pesto - 1 Tbsp.
- Olive oil - 1 Tbsp.
- Garlic cloves - 5-6, chopped fine
- Red chilli flakes - 1 Tbsp.
- Salt - To taste
- Sriracha sauce - 1 Tbsp. [Alternately, use red chilli sauce]
- Hot water - 4 C
- Pressure cook the chick peas. Cool and grind them in a mixer-grinder till they form a thick paste.
- Pour hot water into this paste and bring to a boil in a deep cooking pot.
- Add the Sriracha sauce and salt to taste. Keep stirring for another 10 min on a medium flame.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in another saucepan.
- Sauté the pesto in that oil along with the garlic pieces and red chilli flakes for about 5 min on a low flame.
- Take this off the flame.
- To serve, pour couple of ladles of the soup into each soup bowl and top it with the sautéed pesto.
- Serve hot.
Preethi loves tea, animals, food and her Kindle. When she is not busy being a geek, she dreams about seeing her name in print media some day . An avid reader and an amateur food photographer, Preethi lives in Hyderabad, India with her husband who is subjected to all her culinary experiments.