Spiced, crisp chicken served with a cool salad and a creamy, zesty dressing – perfect any weather.
By Nicky Corbishley
Chicken, marinated in garlic and spices, charred on the griddle, served over a fresh green salad, sprinkled with some crunchy toasted pita and all topped off with a creamy, zesty dressing with a hint of red chili.
Doing some research into this recipe, I found a fair amount of variation. Traditionally, it involves cooking meat such as chicken/lamb/beef on a vertical spit for a hours, then serving it in a flatbread topped with some salad and sauce.
The pita is brushed with a little oil and then baked in the oven for a few minutes – resulting in some delicious thin and crispy croutons.
Make sure you have a napkin to hand as that watercress does try it’s best to cover your face in leaves and salad dressing!
For another refreshing salad, check out this chicken noodle salad with chili and lime.
- 8 chicken thigh fillets, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1tsp paprika
- 1tsp ground cumin
- ½tsp ground coriander
- ¼tsp chili powder
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- Small Bag (100g) Watercress
- Handful of baby spinach
- 3 radishes, sliced thinly
- 2 large pita breads
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 3tbsp buttermilk
- 2tbsp sour cream
- 2tbsp mayonnaise
- 2tbsp chopped coriander/cilantro
- Juice of 1 small lime
- ½ of a red chilli, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small garlic clove peeled and minced
- First marinate the Shawarma. Place the chopped chicken things in a large bowl and add the rest f the Shawarma ingredients. Mix together, then cover with clingfilm and place in the fridge for an hour (or up to overnight).
- When you're ready to prepare the salad, preheat the oven to 200C/400f and place a cast iron griddle on the hob to heat up. Split the pita breads (so you have 4 thin breads) and brush both sides of your pita breads with the olive oil, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper, then bake for 6-7 minutes until golden. Set aside until needed.
- Place the chicken pieces on the griddle and cook for 6-10 minutes - turning a couple of times until slightly charred on the outside cooked through in the middle.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking make your salad dressing by mixing all of the ingredients together in a small bowl until combined.
- Divide the watercress, spinach and radish slices between 4 plates. Cut or tear the pita breads into small pieces and place on top of each salad. Place the cooked chicken on top and drizzle on a little of the salad dressing.
- Serve with the remaining salad dressing.
I'm Nicky - Food blogger, chocolate devourer, wife and mum. I live in Cheshire in the UK and spend my days creating and writing recipes.