Executive Chef Chef Pang has created a “plantation fusion” concept restaurant KO at the Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea Maui to share what locals really eat with guests. This family recipe goes with him to every potluck – only the empty pan comes home.
By Michelle M. Winner – Photo by Kaz Tanabe
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- For marinade:
- ¼ cup finely sliced green onions
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon peeled and minced ginger
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mirin
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- ¼ to ½ Tablespoon dried chili flakes( more if you like it hot)
- Garnish: 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Prepare green onions, garlic and ginger per ingredient list. Put all into a large container with lid for marinade. Put all other marinade ingredients into the container. Add the boneless chicken thighs, mix well and cover; put in fridge overnight. Turn occasionally for even marination.
- grill chicken over a moderate kiawe charcoal fire ( mesquite is fine) until both sides are done. If you don't have a grill you can cook under your oven broiler. Arrange on a platter or individual plates, garnish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Michelle was born with a fork in her hand. As a culinary travel writer and confirmed foodophile she delights in the world-wide discovery of new flavor profiles, spices, salts and herbs. Based in one of the world's foodie meccas; Portland, Oregon, not far from "Pinot Noir Heaven" Michelle shares culinary travel and chef's recipes. Her photography has appeared in Saveur Magazine and she has contributed culinary travel articles to Forbes online, WSJ online, Business Insider, Condé Nast Digital Media, Islands magazine and many others. A confirmed globetrotter, she still keeps her bags packed and fork in hand (well . . . except through airport security.)