Executive Chef Chef Pang has created a “plantation fusion” concept restaurant KO at the Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea Maui to share what locals really eat with guests. This family recipe goes with him to every potluck – only the empty pan comes home.
By Michelle M. Winner – Photo by Kaz Tanabe
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- For marinade:
- ¼ cup finely sliced green onions
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon peeled and minced ginger
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mirin
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- ¼ to ½ Tablespoon dried chili flakes( more if you like it hot)
- Garnish: 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Prepare green onions, garlic and ginger per ingredient list. Put all into a large container with lid for marinade. Put all other marinade ingredients into the container. Add the boneless chicken thighs, mix well and cover; put in fridge overnight. Turn occasionally for even marination.
- grill chicken over a moderate kiawe charcoal fire ( mesquite is fine) until both sides are done. If you don't have a grill you can cook under your oven broiler. Arrange on a platter or individual plates, garnish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.