Indian paratha bread is filled with a rich blue cheese and served beside a light watermelon, cheese, and cucumber salad for a balancing summer pair.
- 2 cups diced water melon
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 seeded and sliced cucumber
- ¼ cup crumbled Castello’s blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Djion mustard
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Blue cheese paratha
- 2 cup whole wheat flour + ¼ cup extra for rolling?½ teaspoon salt?¾ cup to 1 cup Hot water?2 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil?3 tablespoon of homemade ghee for brushing the paratha (Recipe for homemade ghee)
- 5.3 oz/150g Castello’s blue cheese
- 6 spring onions chopped finely both green and white parts
- 1 carrot finely grated
- 1 green chili
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder and
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon cilantro/ coriander leaves
- In a separate bowl mix all the ingredients except olive oil and then incorporate olive oil with continue whisking and set aside.
- In a big bowl add water melon, cucumber and onion and toss the dressing and mix well so that it coated well. Top with crumbled blue cheese.
For the Dough
- In a bowl of kitchen aid stand mixer attached with paddle attachment, add whole wheat flour, salt 2 tablespoon olive oil and water and combine well to form dough.
- Change paddle attachment and with dough hook knead the dough for about 5 minutes or until they become smooth.
- Set aside in lightly greased bowl rolling the dough so that dough get coat with 1 teaspoon oil, this will prevent dough from drying. Keep aside for 15-20 minutes. Make 10 equal sized balls and set aside.
Filling and Cooking the Bread
- Mix all the ingredients for filling in a bowl and divide it into 5 equal sized balls
- First with whole wheat dough balls make ½ inch thick flat bread and then place blue cheese filling on the top of one disc and cover with other flat bread and using a mold cut it into 6 inch circle. Then seal the sides well so that filling won’t ooze out. .
- Heat skillet and transfer the spread dough into skillet carefully. Cook the one side until you see bubbles on the top, brush with ghee
- Flip the other side and cook for another minute. When paratha is done, you will see brown spots all over. Brush them with ghee on both sides once again.
- Continue to make the paratha until you finish the entire dough. You will able to make 5 paratha from this recipe.
- Serve them with spicy pickle or curry or your choice.
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: Indian-Inspired