These cajun chickens are certainly made healthier than the KFC ones.
By Jehanne Ali
- 8 large chicken drumlets
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic mix
- ½ tsp salt
- a dash of turmeric
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ cup Cajun seasoning
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp canola oil for drizzle
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp paprika ( or cayenne pepper)
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- Dry roast all the spices and salt for few minutes until fragrant. Store in airtight jar up to couple of months.
- Marinate the chicken drumlets with ginger-garlic, salt and turmeric for minimum 30 minutes.
- Steam the chicken for 15 minutes, until almost tender.
- Mix the flour and cajun seasoning in a bowl.
- Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Dip the chicken onto the flour mix then dip into the egg.
- Dip them again onto the flour then egg, and probably another repeat until thick coating is achieved.
- Arrange the drumlets on a baking tray. Drizzle the canola oil on top.
- Bake at 200C for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 180C and bake for another 30 minutes or until chicken are golden with crispy edges.
Jehanne is an enthusiastic baker, food blogger, mother and wife all in one. She swaps her scalpel from her day job as a doctor to kitchen utensils in the evening and creates magical treatment of healthy treats for her family, which she shares in her blog, The Cooking Doctor. She is a firm advocate of healthy eating and always believes that honest and healthy food will steer you clear from the doctors.