Smokey bacon and creamy avocado are nothing special on a spinach salad, but add a sweet and savory blueberry dressing and you’re in for a treat.
By Helen Buxton
In celebration of our first spell of proper hot weather (finally I can get out the summer gear!) I decided to make a tasty salad. Nothing too unusual on the face of it … just some nice green leaves tossed with crispy bacon, avocado aaand … here’s the twist … blueberries!! Maybe it sounds a bit strange to you to add the blueberries, but hear me out. Bacon is pork and pork often gets paired with fruit, and blueberries are fruit … so why not?
The pièce de résistance of this salad though is definitely the blueberry dressing! I don’t know how you feel about drizzling something purple all over your food, but I promise you it tastes really really good! All it is is olive oil, Dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, a little squirt of honey and blueberries, and as you can see it ends up looking like purple mayonnaise!
- 4 rashers smoked bacon
- 50 grams/1.75 ounces salad leaves of your choice (I used a mixture of rocket, baby spinach & red chard)
- ½ a large avocado, sliced into chunks
- about 70 grams/2.5 ounces blueberries
- See the link above
- toasted bread drizzled with olive oil & salt (optional)
- Heat a frying pan over a high heat and cook the bacon for a couple of minutes or so on each side until golden and a bit crispy. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Scatter the salad leaves over a large plate or platter, then sprinkle over the avocado and blueberries. Tear the bacon over the salad, too.
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a food processor (hand-held works well) and whizz until smooth.
- Serve the salad with the dressing drizzled over and the toasted bread (if using).