Halloween is just around the corner and this is the perfect time to start planning some Halloween treats. Why not dressing up simple and delicious chocolate cupcakes into a scary costume?
This blood-stained glass decoration is actually very simple to make. The only ingredients you need are some food coloring and sugar.
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 tbsp sugar
- 12 tbsp vegetable oil
- 12 tbsp milk
- 12 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups (500 ml) whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5.2 oz (150 g) granulated sugar
- 0.3 cups (88 ml) water
- red food coloring
- some powdered sugar
- Sift flour with baking powder and cocoa.
- Mix eggs with vanilla and sugar until pale yellow and creamy. Add milk and oil and in the end, flour mixture. Pour into cupcake tins lined with paper cups.
- Preheat oven to 356 F (180 C). Bake for around 20 minutes. Let cool.
- For the frosting, whip the cream with vanilla extract. Put into piping bag, cut the top off and decorate the cupcakes.
- For the sugar glass, melt sugar with water on low heat until it reaches 269 F (132 C). You will start smelling a bit of caramel flavor and the mixture will start getting a pale champagne color. Remove from heat and pour onto baking tray lined with parchment paper. Let cool for 30 or 60 minutes and break into pieces. Push them into the frosting and sprinkle with red food coloring combined with a bit of powdered sugar.
- These need to be served immediately, as the food coloring will permeate the frosting and look messy after some time. Also, the sugar glass absorbs liquid and it won't look good the next day.
Tamara Novakovic is a passionate self-taught cook, food blogger, freelance food writer and photographer behind bite-my-cake.blogspot.com. Her life journey has led her through Faculty of Humanities in Zagreb, Croatia to discovering passion for making cakes. She is currently a weekly food columnist for Croatian newspaper V magazine and food magazine Repete.