A thai-inspired treat made from whole grain black rice and coconut milk.
By Carly DeFilippo
Black rice (a whole grain rice) is rich in iron, fiber and antioxidants. But more importantly, it is the base for my refined sugar, gluten and dairy-free Black Rice Pudding, a sweet and savory treat inspired by traditional Thai recipes.
- 1 cup black rice (rinsed and soaked overnight)
- 2 cups coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 1⅔ cups water
- 3 dates, chopped into small pieces
- A splash of vanilla extract
- Rinse and soak black rice overnight.
- Boil 2 cups coconut milk and 1⅔ cups water.
- While the liquid is boiling, re-rinse your soaked rice.
- When your milk/water is near-boiling, grab a new pot. Put the rice in this pot over a low flame, toast it quickly, and then add about half of your boiling liquid.
- As time goes on, gradually add the rest of your heated liquid to your rice, testing for texture.
- About 30-40 minutes into cooking, add a splash of vanilla extract and your chopped dates.
- Test your rice for texture (it should be chewy, not mushy, when cooked) and add extra water if needed.
- Remove pudding from stove and transfer to another container to cool.