These unfussy cupcakes are based on the black and white cookies that are a New York City classic.
By Michelle Keith
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup flour 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 12ounces semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ stick butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350
- line a muffin tin with liners or grease
- Combine the melted butter, extract, sugar, eggs and milk
- In another bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, and mix well. Do not over beat
- Fill each cup about ? full and bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Allow to cool thoroughly before frosting with chocolate ganache on one half, and vanilla frosting on the other.
- Melt together over low heat, and allow to cool until thick enough to spread
- Beat well until fluffy. Milk may be added a tablespoon at a time to thin out.
Michelle Keith is a South Florida native and the author of "The Village Cook". A self taught chef, her experience cooking and baking spans over 30 years. In addition to her food blog, she has also been featured in numerous websites, and writes recipes for her local community newsletter. She also is the editor of "The Domestic Mama", a blog about motherhood and family life. She currently resides in South Florida.