This almond-flavored cake is so easy. Simply combine ingredients into two groups and mix. The result will be a rich, moist cake with beautiful height. Perfect for adorning with fresh fruit.
By Liz Swartz
If you follow me on Twitter, you’ll know that wedding planning doesn’t really come naturally to me. There is, however, one thing about it that does: cake. Everyone tells me I’m nuts to try to make my own cake, but damnit, I’m determined. I’m trying out a few different cakes and even though I just started, this may be the winner. Not only was this cake insanely easy to make, but it also rose perfectly. (I get a kick out of stuff like that..seriously turn the oven light on and watch it)
Even if you’re not making a wedding cake, this would make an excellent dessert for a Summer party, especially with a big pile of berries on top.
- 2½ cups all-purpose sifted flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp double acting baking powder
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 3 whole eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup lukewarm water
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp almond flavoring
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Prepare two 9" round pans or one 8x3" round pan by using baking spray.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, combine flour, salt, sugar, & baking powder with a hand whisk. Add remaining ingredients and mix with the mixer on low speed. Increase speed to medium once most of the dry ingredients are moistened and mix for 2 minutes until well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 325° F until the center of each cake is done. You can test by inserting a toothpick in the center- when it comes out clean, the cake is done. Bake for 25-30 minutes for the 9” pan. For the 8x3" round it will need 40.
Lizzy Wolff, creator of Sugar + Butter, loves to make you drool on your keyboard. It's a real thrill for her. For more recipes, click 'website' below.