This yogurt based curry is great alongside rice and adds a pop of vibrant color to any plate.
By Nandita Nataraj
- Beetroot- 1med sized, peeled and grated
- Turmeric- ¼tsp
- Chili powder- ½tsp
- Thick yogurt- 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- For the ground mixture:
- Freshly grated coconut- ½ cup
- Cumin seeds- ½tsp
- Shallots- 3-4, finely chopped
- Mustard seeds- ¼tsp
- For the seasoning:
- Oil- 1tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Red chili- 1
- Shallot- 1, finely chopped
- Asafetida- a pinch
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Mix the grated beetroot with the turmeric and red chili powder. Add a little water and cook till soft and dry.
- Grind all the ingredients mentioned under "ground mixture" along with a little water to a fine paste and add to the cooked beetroot.
- Whisk the yogurt till smooth and add to the beetroot mixture. Stir in the salt and mix well.
- For the seasoning, heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. Once they pop, add the red chili, asafetida and curry leaves and fry till crisp.
- Add the seasoning mixture to the pachadi and serve immediately with steamed rice.
Nandita was born, bred and spread in India, but right now lives in Tanzania where her quest for simple and exotic pleasures of food led to the creation of the blog Paaka-Shaale. She believes that food is not just a means to feed a body. But it is also meant to appeal the mind and satiate the soul.