Cooked beetroot is grated and added to coconut paste and yogurt and then seasoned with mustard, red chilies and curry leaves.
By Swathi Iyer
- 1 big (2 small) Beetroot
- 1cup Fresh grated coconut
- 2-3 green chili (if you want more spicy add one more chili)
- ¾ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 ½ cup yogurt/curd
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¾teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 no red chili
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Peel the skin of beet root and chop into big chunks and cook with 2-3 cups of water until it is cooked well or become very soft.
- Once it is cool enough to touch, grate them finely and set aside.
- In the mean time grind the coconut with green chilies into fine paste.
- In a skillet add grated cooked beet, salt, yogurt and ground coconut chili paste and mix everything, in low flame. You can do this step without heating also.
- In another pan heat oil and add mustard seeds , red chili and curry leaves, when mustard seeds starts splutters remove from the fire and add it to beetroot yogurt mixture.
- Enjoy with rice.
Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) loves to explore cuisines from all over the world, and write about the ones that she and her family enjoyed on her blog Zesty South Indian kitchen. She loves to gives an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. She is also a mom to two wonderful young kids who gives a up or down vote to the food she creates.