This recipe uses beets to bring color, sweetness and the moist texture to to the cupcakes.
By Nandita Nataraj
- Milk- 1cup+2tbsp
- Beetroot- 1med, peeled and cut into ¼" pieces
- Flax seed meal- 2tbsp
- Apple cider vinegar- 2tbsp
- Sugar- 1-1/2 cup
- Canola oil- ⅓ cup
- Vanilla extract- 2tsp
- Nutella- 2tsp
- All purpose flour- 2-1/4 cups
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- ½cup
- Baking powder- 2-1/2tsp
- Cream cheese- 8Oz packet, softened
- Butter- ¼ cup, at room temperature
- Castor Sugar- 8tbsp
- Vanilla extract- 1tsp
- Cook the diced beetroot with a little water till completely soft. Allow the beets to cool completely and blend the cooked beets to a smooth puree.
- Add the milk, flaxseed meal and vinegar to the pureed beets and blend till well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the oil, vanilla extract, nutella and sugar.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the beet mixture little by little and mix till well combined.
- Scoop the batter evenly between 16 muffin cups and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 25-30min or till the skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the cup cakes to cool the pan for 5min before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla and mix till well combined.
- Frost the cooled cup cakes the cream cheese frosting and serve.
Nandita was born, bred and spread in India, but right now lives in Tanzania where her quest for simple and exotic pleasures of food led to the creation of the blog Paaka-Shaale. She believes that food is not just a means to feed a body. But it is also meant to appeal the mind and satiate the soul.