A banana batter is grilled into waffles and served with a blueberry and pecan relish for a delicious morning treat.
By Shelley Ludman
- 1½ cups spelt flour
- 2 T sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter (or coconut oil), melted
- ¾ cups milk (any kind, nut, etc)
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- yogurt or cream, for serving (optional)
- See the link above for the recipe.
- Mix everything for the blueberry relish in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine the flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet over the dry and stir just until combined, and no visible dry flour remains.
- Let the batter rest while the waffle iron heats up. Cook each waffle for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown. Store the ready waffles on a metal rack until ready to eat (to avoid soggy-ness).
- Serve with a scoop of yogurt and a hearty sprinkling of blueberry relish.
Shelley is the voice and photographer behind the food and travel blog, Sevengrams. When not at her day job as an Architect in Toronto & Montreal, Shelley can be found cooking in her kitchen, strolling through the nearby market, or escaping on weekends with her boyfriend (aka the in-house taste tester).