This lovely summer dessert from Tamara Novacoviç is almost too simple to be called a recipe.
By Tamara Novacoviç
For me, this is the perfect summer dessert. I have recently made baked peaches for the first time and started wondering why I haven’t tried it before. This is almost too simple to be called a recipe, yet so genious. Somehow everything comes together in this one, perfect taste, sweetness properly balanced against the slight tartness of sour cream and fried breadcrumbs and-the best of all-contains no sugar.
I really wasn’t aware of how good a simple dessert of baked fruit can taste. When you make a dessert like this, in which you devote the entire story to one and only ingredient, around which it all revolves, it’ s called “respecting the ingredient“. You can use some other fruit, for example plums, but somehow I find peaches to have the nicest aroma. You can both grill them or bake in the pan, like I did. I served them with a dollop of sour cream, which nicely complements the sweetness of fruit and honey, but you can use vanilla ice cream or whipped cream as well. Play with beautiful summer fruit!
- 2 fresh peaches
- 2-3 tbsp honey
- cinnamon (you can also use cardamom)
- sour cream
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp rum or amaretto
- Wash peaches, cut in half, remove the stone.
- In a pan, heat honey, add cinnamon. Add peach halves and bake for about 10 minutes. Occasionally turn to coat both sides. The honey will reduce slightly and become syrup-like and the peaches will soften. Remove from heat.
- Fry breadcrumbs slightly on 1 tbsp olive oil, add some cinnamon. Remove from heat.
- Serve: put peach halves on plate, pour honey syrup over, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and serve with a dollop of sour cream. Enjoy!