This savory breading pudding makes the perfect brunch to feed a hungry crowd after a late night out.
- 10 cups bite sized cubes of white sandwich bread
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus additional for pan
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 ½ cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 12 slices bacon cooked and drained on paper towels (reserve drippings)
- Butter a large casserole dish. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Arrange bread cubes in one layer on a baking sheet. Melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper to the melted butter. Stir. Pour the butter mixture over the bread cubes. Toss the cubes until coated. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until cubes are toasted. Remove from oven and set pan aside.
- In a large bowl add eggs, heavy cream and milk. Stir until well blended. Add cheese, 2 teaspoons bacon drippings, and remaining salt and pepper. Stir. Cut or chop the bacon into bite sized pieces. Add bacon to the milk egg mixture. Stir.
- Add toasted bread cubes to the milk egg mixture. Stir until all bread cubes are coated. Let the bread mixture rest for 10 minutes. Pour bread pudding into prepared pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until golden brown and egg mixture is set. Remove from oven. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Category: Breakfast