Wilson Mak goes all Top Chef on a bunch of asparagus, some tomatoes and a roll of bread.
Text And Photo By Wilson Mak
I consider myself a big fan of Top Chef shows. Top Chef Masters season 3 is currently airing and recently I was inspired to recreate one of the Quickfire winning dishes. This Quickfire challenge was really unique as the chefs were asked to create an appetizer that cost less than a dollar. Chef Naomi Pomeroy came out as the winner for this challenge with her well balanced flavor salad : Asparagus & Bread Salad with Cherry Tomato & Lemon Vinaigrette
This salad is really easy to prepare and it tastes absolutely delicious.
Recipe modified from Top Chef Masters
- 1 cherry tomato, cut in quarters
- 4 tablespoons ( 60ml )olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced fine and warmed to translucent in 2 tablespoons (30ml) olive oil
- 1 lemon ( juice )
- Handful of picked Italian parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 spears asparagus, shaved very thin
- 1 soft white roll, toasted to golden and torn into 1 inch pieces
- Warm the shallot with the olive oil in a pan.
- Add the cherry tomato to the pan.
- Add juice of lemon to create a “vinaigrette”.
- Add parsley and season it with salt and pepper
- Toss all ingredients to plate