This is one dish not to be missed out on. Super easy to remember and you need not go hunting for the recipe each time you make it.
By Prathima Rao
Apples are one of those fruits that lends itself well to sweet, dessert recipes and curries and savory alike. Spicy fritters from apples also make a more-ish snack! Lip smacking and tangy apple chutney is another mouthwatering dish. They go perfectly when added to potato curries.
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Hing (asafoetida) – ¼ tsp
- Ginger – 1 inch piece, fine chopped
- Green chillies – 1, slit (optional)
- Tomato – 1 medium
- Apples, slightly tart, cooking variety – 3 to 4
- Jaggery (gur) – 2 tsp or to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Rasam powder – 2 tsp or to taste
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp (optional)
- Garnish – coriander leaves
- Wash and chop tomatoes. Wash and peel apples. Dice them.
- Heat oil, add mustard, cumin, hing, let splutter. Add ginger, green chillies, sauté few seconds.
- Add tomatoes and let soften a bit. Add apples, mix and let start to soften.
- Add salt, jaggery, rasam powder, chilli powder. Cook till done.
- Garnish and serve hot!
Born and brought up in South India amongst hard core food enthusiasts. Cooking and food has always been a part of Prathima’s growing years with every family gathering accompanied by a scrumptious and elaborate meal. Now, traditional vegetarian food of her community has paved way to contemporary and quicker dishes.