Nandita Nataraj with a great healthy recipe for something right between breakfast bread and coffee cake.
By Nandita Nataraj
I love baking muffins. As muffins are low in sugar and fat, they are ideal for breakfast or for quick “inbetween meal snacking”. They become all the more nutritious when they are made out of enriching oats and fruit puree. Even though I have baked muffins earlier, I had never ventured into baking muffins with streusel topping. When I saw the recipe for a stresel muffin in the book muffins and quick breads, I could not resist baking this.
I have made quite a few changes to the original recipe to cut down on the unnecessary fats. The addition of apple puree is just one of them. These muffins are a nice cross between, a muffin and a coffee cake. The highlight is of course, the sprinkling of buttery streusel. These muffins are great either served warm from the oven or at room temperature
- Quaker oats- 1-1/2 cup or 5.25 Oz
- All purpose flour- 1-1/4 cup or 4.3 Oz
- Thick buttermilk- 1cup or 8 Oz
- Apple puree- ¾ cup or 6 Oz
- Sugar- ⅓ cup
- Baking powder- 2tsp
- Baking soda- ¼tsp
- Salt- ¼tsp
- Nutmeg powder- ¼tsp
- Vanilla essence- 1 tsp
- Dried currants- ½ cup or 4 Oz
- Butter- to grease the pan
- Quaker oats- ¼cup or 2 Oz
- All purpose flour-1/4 cup or 2 Oz
- Brown sugar- ¼ cup or 2 Oz
- Butter- 2tbsp
- Heat the oven at 200C or 400F
- Line 10 to 12 muffin cups with paper baking cups or grease the bottoms only with butter
- For the muffins, combine the all purpose flour, salt, nutmeg powder, baking powder and baking soda and sift once
- Add the oats and sugar to the flour mixture and mix well
- In a separate bowl, combine, butter milk, apple puree, vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add the buttermilk-Apple puree mixture to the dried ingredients and mix just until the ingredients are well combined.
- Fold in the dried currants mix gently
- Fill the prepared muffin cups till ⅔ full
- For the streusel topping, combine the dry ingredients and cut in the chilled butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle the streusel mixture over the muffin batter and pat gently.
- Bake for 25 to 30 min till golden brown or till an inserted skewer comes out clean