You don’t need too many ingredients to prepare this delicious, wonderfully moist coconut sweet.
By Anamika Sharma
August 2nd was Raksha Bandhan in India. Raksha Bandhan is a Hindu festival celebrating the bond between a brother and a sister. This festival symbolizes the sister’s love and prayers for her brother’s well-being, and the brother’s lifelong vow to protect her. A thread is tied on the wrist of the brother by the sister and in turn the brother promises to take care of her forever (just a reiteration of what the brother is suppose to do any which ways), followed by gifts from the brother to her dear sister, though I miss all the rakhi fun, one of the not so positive things of staying away from your home town!!!
I love coconut and coconut based sweets, this time on Raksha Bandhan I prepared these delicious easy Kopra Pak coconut burfi’s. An easy Indian Sweet option but tastes great. You don’t need too many ingredients to prepare this delicious, wonderfully moist coconut sweet. This Kopra Pak is to be refrigerated after it is set and cooled.
Try this traditional and delicious Indian Sweet at home and enjoy having it with your loved ones.
- Fresh grated coconut – 2 cups
- Powdered Sugar – 1 ½ cups
- Milk – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon Juice – 1 teaspoon
- Ghee – 2 teaspoons
- Safforn Strands (Kesar) – ¼ teaspoon
- A pinch of turmeric
- Cardamom Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Pistachios sliced – for garnishing
- Water – 1 ¼ cups
- Warm milk and add in the saffron stands, pinch of turmeric and keep aside.
- Blanch the pistachios and slice them, keep them for garnishing.
- Prepare the sugar syrup in a heavy bottom pan, by boiling water and sugar. Keep stirring in between; add the lemon juice to it when the mixture starts boiling.
- After adding in the lemon juice if you see the dust over the sugar syrup mixture then, remove it from spoon or strain the syrup if required.
- Keep boiling the sugar syrup mixture till it reaches the two thread consistency.
- Add the grated coconut, two teaspoon ghee (you can reduce it to one teaspoon if you wish to have less ghee in the sweet) and the saffron paste.
- Stir continuously and remove from the heat immediately.
- Grease a flat metal plate and spread the mixture on the plate. With the help of a spatula spread it evenly.
- Garnish it with cardamom powder and the sliced pistachios.
- Allow it to set for about 8 hours in the refrigrator covered with a plastic wrap and let it cool.
- Cut into desired shape and serve.