This PB&J Parfait triples as a hearty breakfast, healthy snack and wholesome dessert.
By Kelsey Hilts
This PB&J parfait transforms one of my favorites – a peanut butter & jam sandwich – into a parfait that triples as a hearty breakfast, healthy snack and wholesome dessert. The options for pb&j combos are endless with different fruit and granola toppings. Some of my favorites are: almond butter with raspberry jam, peanut butter with banana and honey, and peanut butter with raspberry jam. I like to use homemade freezer jam and then top the parfait with blueberries, sliced banana, granola and any other fruit or berries.
These homemade parfaits are a great way to doctor your Greek yogurt yourself, controlling the amount of sugar and additives and getting creative with the fruit combos. And a bonus is that it’s cheaper to buy a tub of plain non-fat or low-fat Greek yogurt and make many parfaits out of it than to buy individual flavored Greek yogurts. If you don’t have freezer jam on hand, any berry puree will do.
- Non-fat or low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1+ spoonful of almond or peanut butter
- 2 spoonfuls of freezer jam
- Banana, sliced
- Granola, optional
- Scoop some plain Greek yogurt into each serving bowl.
- Add a spoonful of peanut or almond butter.
- Then add a spoonful of homemade berry jam.
- Repeat the layers, topping the parfait with sliced bananas, berries and granola if desired
Kelsey Hilts is the founder of Itsy Bitsy Foodies, an online resource for families looking for ways to spend more time together enjoying food and exploring the world beyond the children’s menu.