This Sunny Side Egg and Avocado Breakfast Pizza stars a perfectly golden-bottomed fried egg, lime-spiked avocado, snow pea shoots and pink peppercorns.
By Kate Olson
Lately I have been involved in a fairly serious love affair with eggs. Poached, scrambled, hard-boiled, soft-boiled with dippy soldiers, baked, and fried. What’s so wonderful about these perfectly packaged little nutrient-bombs is that they manage to be both filling and exactly what you’d want for a quick, simple, satisfying meal – breakfast, lunch or dinner.
I’d like to share with you a take on eggs on toast that is brighter, prettier and more interesting than old-hat white bread and fried eggs.
My Sunny Side Egg and Avocado Breakfast Pizza stars a perfectly golden-bottomed fried egg, lime-spiked avocado, snow peas shoots and pink peppercorns. A seedy, wholemeal flatbread serves as the vehicle that allows easy eating and very little washing up. Good morning!
- 1 wholemeal flatbread – I used a beautiful house-made soy, linseed and pumpkin flatbread from my favourite market stall, but any wholemeal flatbread is fine
- Juice of one freshly squeezed lime
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 organic free-range egg
- Sea salt
- Pink peppercorns
- Snow pea shoots
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat grill to 390F (200C)
- Brush flatbread with a little olive oil, season with salt and pop under the grill to crisp up. Remove from oven.
- Scoop out the flesh of the avocado and spread onto the flatbread – I used a fork to mash the avocado roughly as I like a few bigger chunks of avocado here and there.
- In a frypan heat a little olive oil over medium heat. Crack the egg into the pan and cook to your liking.
- Using a spatula, place the cooked egg on top of the avocado flatbread. Squeeze over the juice of a fresh lime, season with salt, sprinkle over some pink peppercorns and finish with a pile of crisp snow pea shoots.
- For something a little more filling try adding some slices of smoked salmon, a crumbling of feta or some slow-roasted cherry tomatoes.