This is a great quick-to-cook recipe, you just need some time for marinating the prawns.
By Selina Periampillai
I wanted to share with you one of my recipes aiming to bring a Mauritian beach side BBQ feel but using my griddle pan, because lets face it, it is pretty darn cold outside for a BBQ (In the UK). For those lucky enough to be in a warmer country, this is a great quick to cook recipe, you just need some time for the marinating the prawns. Accompanied with our mango & chilli salsa, inspired by my Mauritian heritage, its a great dish!
- 20-25 large raw prawns, peeled with heads and tails intact, cleaned
- 2 ripe mangoes, chopped
- 2 long red chillies, chopped
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 bunch coriander, stems and leaves chopped
- ½ bunch mint, leaves chopped
- 125ml (1/2 cup) olive oil, squeeze of lime, salt & pepper to season
- Firstly, clean the prawns, squeeze over some lime.
- Place chillies, spring onions, onion, coriander, mint, 80ml oil in a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer half the salsa to a bowl and set aside for later.
- Pour over prawns. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to marinate.
- Place remaining salsa in processor and process with remaining 2 tbs oil and mango chunks for a smooth paste or you can choose to leave it chunkier. Set this aside.
- Skewer the prawns alternatively threading with peppers or other vegetables if you wish.
- Heat a griddle pan, grill or bbq (if your lucky!) to medium-high heat. Cook prawns for 3 minutes each side or until just cooked and golden. Season with salt and pepper, and serve with reserved mango salsa. AH-MAZING!