A creamy marshmallow mint filling is sandwiched between two soft and chewy chocolate cookies in this wonderful recipe.
By Kimberly Killebrew
A creamy marshmallow mint filling is sandwiched between to perfectly soft and chewy chocolate cookies. You won’t be able to resist these!
I wanted a cookie that was soft and chewy and flat at the same time. Flat works best for sandwich cookies so they don’t topple over. These meet all the criteria. I love marshmallow fillings and I incorporated mint into it to complement the chocolate and because it’s a fitting match with the color green for the St. Patrick’s Day theme.
- 2½ sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Marshmallow Mint Filling
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 jar (7 oz) marshmallow creme
- 2 cups powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar)
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- A few drops of green food coloring
- In a large bowl, add the butter and sugar and cream together with a hand mixer. Add the eggs and vanilla extract to the creamed mixture and mix until combined. In a medium bowl, mix the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients and continue mixing until incorporated.
- Roll the dough into 2 logs that are about 2-inches high and 1-foot long. Wrap them in waxed paper and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once thoroughly chilled, slice the cookies into ½-inch thick rounds and cover with sanding sugar. Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Raised in Western Europe, widely traveled, and currently residing near Seattle with her husband and children, Kimberly loves preparing and experimenting with a large range of flavors and cuisines. This is reflected in her food blog, The Daring Gourmet, where she invites all to “tour the world through your taste buds.” Passionate cook, recipe developer and photo enthusiast, her culinary repertoire includes everything from gourmet to simple comfort food, and, as she puts it, “simply downright good eats.”