A sublime salted caramel sauce for pouring, dipping or bathing in.
By Christina Soong-Kroeger
- 75 grams unsalted butter
- 100 grams raw caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons rice malt syrup 130 mls cream
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Put first three ingredients into a small saucepan and bring almost to the boil.
- Immediately add the cream, stir and then simmer for three minutes.
- Add salt and stir.
- Turn off heat and leave to cool. The sauce will darken and thicken.
- Store in the fridge but heat up before serving.
Christina publishes The Hungry Australian - a collection of recipes, reviews and stories about food - and is a regular contributor to Sumptuous. Her writing has appeared in the China Daily and That’s Shanghai while her photography regularly appears on Foodgawker, Tasteologie and Photograzing. After eating her way around Shanghai, London, Hong Kong, Leeds and Melbourne, she now calls Adelaide, South Australia, home again.