With all the flavors of banana pudding, this banana pudding pie sits in a delightful vanilla wafer crust and is topped with freshly whipped cream.
do you ever find yourself so completely frazzled and overwhelmed that you need to stop and reset? this banana pudding pie was my reset. slowly stirring pudding while it bubbles on the stove is my kind of meditation. a crust that involves smashing vanilla wafers (check out my homemade vanilla wafer recipe HERE) into crumbs is cathartic. and is there anything more comforting than sliced bananas topped with homemade vanilla pudding and freshly whipped cream? i don’t think so.
Click HERE for the vanilla wafer crust recipe.
- Click the link above for the recipe.
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 4 cups whole milk
- 4 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 bananas thinly sliced (plus one for the topping)
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Get Ingredients Powered by Chicory
- preheat oven to 350 °
- pulse vanilla wafers in a food processor until you have fine crumbs (or you can do what i do and place cookies in a zip top bag and smash by hand)
- place crumbs in a large bowl and add melted butter, stir well
- press crumbs into a pie pan, and bake for 5 minutes
- as the crust cools, make the custard
- in a pot set over medium heat whisk sugar, cornstarch, milk, and egg yolks
- stir constantly until the custard bubbles and begins to thicken (about 10 minutes)
- remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, butter, and salt
- layer the crust with the sliced bananas, pour custard over the bananas, cover with plastic wrap and chill 1 hour
- whip the cream with sugar and vanilla, and smooth over the chilled custard
- just before serving top with banana slices