This easy breakfast casserole is perfect to meal prepping and is a total crowd pleaser. The Cornbread Breakfast Bake is loaded with meat and fresh veggies.
Alright you guys, I am obsessed with this breakfast bake!! It was one of those clean-out-the-fridge recipes where I didn’t feel like making a boring egg scramble and was also craving something sweet. It’s chock full of protein from lean ground beef, eggs, and egg whites and also helps you get your veggies in without even realizing it! This really is one of those meals that is decently healthy, but doesn’t taste healthy. And I’m all about that ;).
I almost didn’t share this recipe because I wasn’t planning on blogging the morning I made it. It was a spontaneous mixture that came together since I didn’t feel like making a grocery store trip but was starting to get a little hangry. I LOVE cornbread and thought, what the heck, and mixed together some pre-made mix, poured it on top of my ground beef mixture, and hoped for the best.
The result? Sweet and salt perfection that will keep you full all morning long. I didn’t plan for it to be a meal prep recipe, but I ended up eating it pretty much for 3 days straight for breakfast AND lunch. You can also customize it to whatever your taste preferences are! Don’t like spinach? Feel free to sub in another veggie. You don’t eat red meat? Add in ground chicken or turkey.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1lb 96% lean ground beef
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 20 oz bag frozen spinach, patted as dry as possible **don't skip
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup egg beaters/egg whites
- 1 box of Jiffy Corn Bread Mix
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup milk
- For serving: sour cream, fresh tomatoes, etc
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large skillet on medium heat, cook the onion and beef until the beef is browned. Stir in the red bell pepper and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Stir in the spinach and season with the garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, Egg Beaters, and salt and pepper.
- Add the beef mixture into the baking dish and pour the egg mixture on top.
- Mix the Jiffy Corn Bread Mix, egg, and milk together to form the batter. Pour on top of the breakfast bake.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until fully cooked.