This Corn Puree with Gruyere and Basil is a side dish you should be bringing to every barbecue this coming summer.
I am telling you now this will become a favourite.
I discovered it completely by accident. I was trying to work out what would be a good partner for a piece of grilled chicken with smokey chipotle chilli. I started with grilled corn but then I saw a picture of a bowl of creamed corn with basil, a recipe by Neil Perry and that inspired me and off I went. This will inspire you too I’m sure.
Most of my recipes are rooted deeply in what ever it is I have in the fridge and this followed the rule. I had a beautiful piece of Gruyere in there, and although it really is one of my favourite cheeses to eat, I had a very good idea it would make this plate of corn AMAZING. And so it did.
For the most part I made this whipped corn with a bag of frozen corn. That’s what I had so that was it. Frozen corn is so sweet and it stays that way when cooked. The corn “mash” is a bit like potato mash in that the more butter cream and cheese added, only makes you want it more.
I have later seen that the original recipe in Good Food has Parmesan in it. This is also a great tasting cheese to add, but I love the nutty fruity taste of Gruyere cheese.
You can skimp on that bit, but don’t try to skimp on the pureeing part. The smoother this Corn Puree is the absolute better it is.
Although this corn makes the perfect side dish for BBQ meats like Chicken, Lamb and even Beef it’s the perfect Vegetarian dish too and hey come on you really didn’t think I’d stop there did you? It’s gluten free and also easy to Veganise. Yes I said Veganise or is that Veganize?
Anyway it’s easy to make it dairy free. I know it’s hard to imagine but it is true and totally delish too.
Check out the video and why not also check out the actual dish if you are in Sydney. Come visit Sidecar- restaurant where I oversee the menu.
- 1 kg corn frozen
- 200 gm onion diced | 1 large
- 25 gm garlic crushed | about 4 cloves
- 100 gm butter
- 40 ml olive oil 2 Tabsp
- 125 ml cream
- 40 ml soy light | 2 Tablespoons
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 150 gm Gruyere Cheese grated
- 12 basil leaves picked
- 25 gm pinenuts roasted
- 4 whole corn cobs
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil extra
- You will need a high speed blender or a stick blender for this recipe
- Put a pot big enough to hold all of the ingredients over a medium heat and add oil and butter. Melt and add onion and garlic and cook till soft.
- Add the corn and toss for several minutes, then add cream and soy and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Take off the heat and puree in small batches adding grated cheese as you go. Once puree cover and Keep warm.
- Warm a skillet or BBQ plate. Coat the corn in the extra olive oil and cook over high heat till nice and charred or for about 8 minutes. cool slightly and then cut off the kernels, keeping warm in a covered container.
- Serve the corn on a side dish sprinkled with corn kernels, pinenuts and basil leaves. I also like this with cracked black pepper and extra grated cheese!
Add 125 ml of coconut cream in place of cows cream
Finally use Nutritional yeast in place of Gruyere cheese.
Nutritional Yeast is a tasty substitute for cheese.