Whole wheat and flax seeds impart a wonderful nutty aroma to the crackers, while giving a crunchy bite and texture.
By Sanjeeta Kk
“Crackers can be addictive!” Hmm.. never knew till I baked these Flax seed wholewheat crackers for myself. Ragi, Millet, cornmeal, oats and Quinoa in the pantry pushed this super food to a corner. After a long hibernation that packet of shiny brown Flax seeds finally moved out from my refrigerator. And when I was thinking to bake something with my tiny treasure, got a call from mom.
I am not one of those fortunate daughters who live close to their mom. I meet her once in a year or sometimes after a period of two years. But talking we do almost on a daily basis, thanks to the cell phone companies. During one of our chats she informed me that she made ‘Shakkarpare‘ (or Indian deep fried cookies) with flax seeds or Alsi as we call in Hindi. She does lots of creative cooking, now that her family responsibilities have reduced to minimum.
This is when I thought of making my own version of crackers by baking the same recipe of mom. And voila I got these highly addictive and healthy first batch of my Flax seeds whole wheat crackers smiling at me ready for a quick bite. Whole wheat and flax seeds impart a wonderful nutty aroma to the crackers, while the whole seeds (flax & sesame) give a crunchy bite and texture to the goodies.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup Flax seeds
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds
- ¼ cup melted butter/ghee/oil
- 2 tbsp. powder sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- A few tsp. milk
- Pre heat oven to 375°F or 180°C for 10 minutes.
- Dry roast flax and sesame on slow heat for a few minutes.
- Take a large vessel and add flax seeds, sesame seeds, wholewheat flour, salt, powder sugar, baking powder and mix well with a fork.
- Add melted butter (I added ghee, clarified butter) and mix the dry ingredients with light hands till it resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Pour milk little by little till all the ingredients bind together to form a hard ball. Avoid adding too much milk if you want to get crisp crackers.
- Take out the ball of dough and knead it on a floured surface to make a large circle. It will be difficult to knead the dough as the flax seeds will keep coming out.
- Press them again in the dough and mend any cracks and breaks in the flattened circle with hands.
- Roll it as thin as you can without breaking and cut it into squares or rectangles with a Sharpe knife.
- Arrange all the crackers on a greased baking tray and bake at 180°C for 15 minutes or till the crackers are slightly brown at the edges. Just keep in mind that the thinner the crackers are less time it will take to bake and vice versa.
- Take out the baking tray and let it cool completely before biting into these addictive Flax seed wholewheat crackers.