This recipe serves 4 to 6 people. It can also be served hot, warm or at room temperature. The filling is really versatile so you could add it to tomatoes or mushrooms.
By Sarah Platanitis
- 4 green bell peppers
- 8oz Jarlsberg Dip with Red Onion
- 1-1/2 cup instant rice
- 10 oz diced fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 3 sweet Italian-style turkey sausages
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash and cut around the pepper stem. Pull stem out and discard along with the seeds.
- Quick roast peppers on a stove burner heated to high. Insert tongs inside the pepper and roll it on the burner. Be careful, you only want to add a little color to the skin! Set peppers aside when you’re done.
- In a large bowl, mix together Jarlsberg Dip with Red Onion, fire roasted tomatoes and instant rice. Set aside.
- Brown sweet Italian-style turkey sausages in small frying pan for 5 minutes on medium high. Cut into ½” pieces and add to rice mixture. (It you do not want to include the sausage casing, split sausage with a knife before cooking, let cool then peel.)
- Arrange peppers to fit snuggly in a baking pan or casserole dish. Stuff with rice mixture and top with freshly ground black pepper. (It’s important to not add extra salt or oils because the cheese and sausage plus roasted tomato will naturally do this for you.)
- Cover pan with foil and place on middle rack. Cook for 50 minutes, or until peppers are tender. Want brown tops? Remove the foil five minutes before cooking time is up. Let cool for 10 minutes.
Sarah grew up a “restaurant kid” and spent most of her childhood pretending to be Julia Child. Her blog (sarahinthekitchen.com) is a place for kitchen musings and her food writing, photography and illustrations.