English muffins are super easy and fun to make. Together with delicious egg salad they make the perfect breakfast.
By Tamara Novacoviç
English muffins are as delicious as any home made bread and interesting to make, since you cook them on stove top and don’t use oven. I also made egg salad that morning and incorporated it into the muffins, between two toasted slices, along with some arugula and zucchini. Use whatever you like. I must say this combination makes great breakfast.
- 4.5 cups (500 g) all purpose flour
- 1 envelope instant dry yeast
- 1 cup (250 ml) lukewarm milk
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) lukewarm water
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 egg
- 5 hard boiled eggs
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- some chili flakes
- Combine lukewarm water with yeast and sugar. Let stand for a few minutes. Melt butter in milk, let cool to room temperature. Combine with yeast mixture. Add everything to flour. Add rest of the ingredients and knead until smooth and soft dough forms. The dough is on the soft side. Let double in size, covered with clean kitchen cloth in a warm place.
- Roll out onto floured surface. Cut it out with round cutter and let muffins stand for another 30 minutes.
- , Heat skillet (without any oil) and cook them on medium heat, 10-12 minutes on both sides. When you turn them around, press them gently to flatten their top.
- Let cool slightly, cut in half and toast halves.
- Cut hard boiled eggs into cubes or smash them with fork. Combine with rest of the ingredients and let cool in the fridge.