A deliciously deadly combo of cardamom and cinnamon makes this a great breakfast bread.
By Suchitra Vaidyaram
The ambience was perfect for baking. I had the whole house to myself & I had all the ingredients in my kitchen cabinet. My buddy, the radio was belting out good songs. I am on a baking spree these days and I can’t complaint. This bread is special because, it includes my two favorite C’s- Cardamom and Cinnamon. Oh boy, the smell that wafts all around the house, just spikes up your spirit! This one is a winner.
Phew, preparation time is long. And you have to be patient while the yeast does the trick. If you are an impatient soul like me, it becomes tough. Trust me, all the patience is rewarded with a sensational and aromatic bread.
Cinnamon & Cardamom swirl bread
Deadly combo of cardamom and cinnamon in the bread makes a great breakfast!
- Author: Suchitra Vaidyaram
- 1 cup Milk
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- 2–1/2 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
- 2 whole Eggs
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 3–1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 11/2 Tablespoons Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tablespoon Cardamom
- Egg And Milk, Mixed Together, For Brushing
- Softened Butter, For Smearing And Greasing
- Step 1 will be to awaken your sleeping yeast. Mix yeast and 1/4 tsp of sugar in a bowl with 2-3 tbsp of warm water. Set it aside for five minutes for the yeast to froth.
- Melt butter with milk. Heat until very warm, but don’t boil. Allow to cool until still warm to the touch, but not hot.
- Since I used salted butter, I haven’t used any salt separately for the dough.
- In a bowl beat sugar and eggs until combined. Pour in milk/butter/yeast mixture and stir to combine. Add the flour, bit by bit and knead until combined.
- If dough is very sticky, add 1/4 cup flour and knead for 5 minutes.
- Once the dough is done, place it in a bowl and set it in a warm, hospitable place for an hour.
- The dough should double in volume after an hour.
- Once the dough is doubled, punch out the air and gently knead it on a work surface.
- with the help of a rolling pin, roll the dough in a rectangle (ensure it is not too wide to put in the baking pan).
- Spread some butter on the dough.
- Mix sugar, cardamom and cinnamon together, then sprinkle evenly over the butter-smeared dough. Starting at the far end, roll dough toward you, keeping it tight and contained. Pinch seam to seal.
- Spread the baking pan with softened butter. Place dough, seam down, in the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 degree celsius.
- Mix a little egg with milk, and brush over the top. Bake for 30-35 minutes on a middle/lower rack in the oven.
- Remove from the pan and allow bread to cool. Slice and serve with a cuppa steaming coffee- bliss!
Suchitra is passionate about cooking flavorful food and loves fusion cooking. She records her recipes on the blog Flavors, which focuses on simple and easy to cook recipes.
This bread was delicious! Next time I might add a little more cardamom, but this was definitely a keeper. Thanks for sharing! My family went bananas over it :)