These sweet delights are not only easy to make and even easier to serve, but they can be wrapped in a gluten free crust, too.
By Stephanie Kirkos
What better way to add a new twist to a classic apple pie than by adding the creamy dreaminess of brie to go along with a flaky golden gluten-free pie crust?
For starters, you can use any gluten-free pie crust recipe or mix for these hand pies. This recipe does not hinge upon my own unique take or “go-to” gluten-free pie crust.
I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Pie Crust in this particular instance, which you are welcome to use. It’s lovely. Or, go with another pie crust of your choice.
The list of ingredients isn’t exact, but more of a guide. You may be able to roll out one more hand pie from your dough than I, thereby using a bit more ingredients in the filling.
Baked for 25 minutes until golden brown, these hand pies are golden, flaky, sweet, savory, creamy, gooey bites of pie dreaminess.
- 1 gluten-free pie crust (at least enough for a 9" pie), prepared per package directions (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 large Cortland apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- ½ wheel of Brie cheese
- Generous drizzle of honey
- 1 egg yolk
- Sprinkle of turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw)
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with either parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Roll out gluten-free pie dough to about ?" thickness. Slice circles about 4" in diameter and remove. Take scraps and knead back into a ball. Roll out again and slice more 4" circles. Repeat until there is not enough dough left to create more circles.
- Roll out the 4" circles a bit thinner. Arrange 4-5 slices of apples in the center of the dough circle. Place two slices of Brie on top. Drizzle with honey. Repeat for half of the circles.
- Take the remaining dough circles and lay over top the filling. Seal the edges closed either with your fingers or a fork.
- Beat one egg yolk in a small bowl. With a pastry brush, brush the beaten egg yolk over top each pie. Sprinkle desired amount of turbinado sugar over top each.
- Bake in the oven on the center rack for 20-25 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm.