This crumble is absolutely divine. The combination of the sweet apples with the tart strawberries and lemon is just heavenly. Topped with an almond crumble, you can’t go wrong.
By Nandita Nataraj
This crumble is absolutely divine. The combination of the sweet apples with the tart strawberries is just heavenly. The hint of lemon mellows the sweetness, and the cinnamon adds a warm flavor. Now coming to the almond topping, all I can say is that, it just increases the flavor of the dessert by many folds. It gives a nutty and biscuit-like texture to the dessert.
Traditionally, condensed milk is not used in making crumble. But this twist adds a delicious caramel flavor, that goes extremely well with apples and strawberries. Yes. It does make the dessert look unattractive and messy. But taste wise, it was so delicious, that the dessert disappeared in 30min flat. That’s how good it was.
- Apples- 3, peeled, cored and cubed
- Strawberries- 200gms, washed hulls and quartered.
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Cinnamon powder- ½tsp+1/2tsp
- Condensed milk- 200gms
- Cold Butter- 5tbsp+1tbsp
- Almond meal- ½ cup
- Old fashioned oats- 2tbsp
- All purpose flour- ¼ cup
- Icing sugar- 1tbsp
- Slivered almonds for garnish- 1tbsp (optional)
- Mix the Cubed apples, strawberries and lemon juice an oven proof dish and mix all to combine.
- Mix together 1tbsp of butter with the condensed milk in a non stick pan and heat the mixture on a low flame for two to three mins. Remove from heat and stir in half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder and allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Pour the condensed milk mixture over the apples and strawberry mixture and spread it evenly.
- In a bowl, mix the almond meal, oats, all purpose flour, sugar and the other half tea spoon of cinnamon powder and mix well.