We didn’t think magic bars could get any more magical, but add more chocolate and raspberry jam and we are in magic bar paradise.
These squares have a gooey coconut filling sandwiched between a chocolate cardamom cookie base and a layer of raspberry jam topped with toasted almonds and more chocolate.
They are my variation of the popular Magic Cookie Bar or Hello Dolly Square recipe that I bet many of you are familiar with. As a teenager, I used make a special trip across town to a cafe that sold Hello Dollies, until I learned how easy they are to make at home. This is a recipe that calls for a can of sweetened condensed milk, that ‘magic’ ingredient that makes everything taste SO good.
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs*
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 cups flaked coconut
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Combine the chocolate cookie crumbs, melted butter, brown sugar, and cardamom in a small bowl and stir until everything has been incorporated.
- Press into a lightly greased 9x9 baking dish.
- Layer the coconut over the chocolate base and pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until coconut is lightly browned.
- Let cool, then spread the raspberry jam over the coconut crust, and sprinkle with the chopped almonds.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a small bowl in the microwave. Use short 10 second intervals to ensure you don't overheat the chocolate, stir until smooth. Drizzle over the almonds using a fork.
- Let the chocolate set before cutting into squares or bars.
Beth is professional food stylist and photographer based in beautiful Halifax, Nova Scotia. Obsessed with all things Italian, Beth illustrates her travel and culinary adventures on her blog with mouthwatering images and delicious recipes.