We didn’t think magic bars could get any more magical, but add more chocolate and raspberry jam and we are in magic bar paradise.
These squares have a gooey coconut filling sandwiched between a chocolate cardamom cookie base and a layer of raspberry jam topped with toasted almonds and more chocolate.
They are my variation of the popular Magic Cookie Bar or Hello Dolly Square recipe that I bet many of you are familiar with. As a teenager, I used make a special trip across town to a cafe that sold Hello Dollies, until I learned how easy they are to make at home. This is a recipe that calls for a can of sweetened condensed milk, that ‘magic’ ingredient that makes everything taste SO good.
- 1½ cups chocolate cookie crumbs*
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 cups flaked, coconut
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup raspberry jam
- ½ cup chopped toasted almonds
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Combine the chocolate cookie crumbs, melted butter, brown sugar, and cardamom in a small bowl and stir until everything has been incorporated.
- Press into a lightly greased 9x9 baking dish.
- Layer the coconut over the chocolate base and pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until coconut is lightly browned.
- Let cool, then spread the raspberry jam over the coconut crust, and sprinkle with the chopped almonds.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a small bowl in the microwave. Use short 10 second intervals to ensure you don't overheat the chocolate, stir until smooth. Drizzle over the almonds using a fork.
- Let the chocolate set before cutting into squares or bars.