You can adjust the flavor profile of this salad by experimenting with different vinegars and herbs.
By Michelle M. Winner
This delightfully fresh and raw corn salad is salt-free and full of flavor. Balsamic vinegar glaze is the secret ingredient. Versatility: you can change the flavor profile from Mediterranean to Asian by switching the vinegars and herbs.
- 4-5 ears of fresh corn, take off cob
- 3-4 med. carrots, diced small
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, diced- seeded
- 1 cup champagne, yellow or red cherry tomatoes
- juice of one lemon
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic glaze, available at grocery
- 6-7 fresh basil leaves , sliced fine
- fresh ground pepper
- Wash and chop all vegetables as directed above.
- Toss all into a bowl and mix
- Season to taste
- Place in fridge until chilled.
- To Serve: place single servings in lettuce cups. To make a meal, serve on lettuce and top with steamed shrimps or poached chicken
- Substitutions:Omit balsamic glaze for rice wine vinegar and add some sugar to balance. Omit the basil and use 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro.
Michelle was born with a fork in her hand. As a culinary travel writer and confirmed foodophile she delights in the world-wide discovery of new flavor profiles, spices, salts and herbs. Based in one of the world's foodie meccas; Portland, Oregon, not far from "Pinot Noir Heaven" Michelle shares culinary travel and chef's recipes. Her photography has appeared in Saveur Magazine and she has contributed culinary travel articles to Forbes online, WSJ online, Business Insider, Condé Nast Digital Media, Islands magazine and many others. A confirmed globetrotter, she still keeps her bags packed and fork in hand (well . . . except through airport security.)