If you’re not a fan of potato salad, this is the recipe that will change your mind. Served on a bed of arugula with grilled potatoes an herb vinaigrette and soft boiled eggs, bring this to your next backyard barbecue.
We love a good potato salad, but hardly do we find recipes that we love. So we created one that has everything we adore. Perfect at a summer backyard barbecue, this recipe features grilled potatoes that are dressed in an herbed vinaigrette, instead of a mayo dressing that gets pretty weird in the hot sun, served on a bed of peppery arugula, and topped with the most glorious 7-minute soft boiled eggs you ever did see.
While the grilled potatoes may look quite glorious, the real hero of this dish is those golden-yolked, perfectly runny eggs. For this recipe, we used eggs Vital Farms. Here’s why: first and foremost, because they are so rich and delicious (Take another look at those beautiful yolks!), but also because the chickens are pasture-raised which is something we believe is not only good for the chickens, but good for the eggs and our earth too. What the chickens eat makes a big difference in the nutrients we gain from their eggs.
Here are some nutritional benefits of pasture-raised eggs.
- They contain 66% more Vitamin A.
- Two times more Omega-3.
- Three times more Vitamin E.
- Four times more Vitamin D.
- Seven times more Beta Carotene.
- 1/3 Less Cholesterol
- 1/4 less Saturated Fat
- 1 pound potatoes
- 1 onion
- 5 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons basil chiffonaded
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add room temperature eggs, cooking for 7 minutes. Remove immediately and submerge in an ice bath.
- Boil potatoes until just barely fork tender. They will continue to cook on the grill.
- Quarter potatoes and slice onion into 4 slices or about 1/2 in thick slices.
- Heat grill.
- Toss potatoes and onion in oil and season with salt. Place on the grill and cook until each side has color.
- Meanwhile, make vinaigrette. Combine oil and vinegar and whisk in basil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Once onions are grilled, cut into bite sized pieces and toss in vinaigrette along with potatoes.
- Serve potatoes on a bed of arugula and top with eggs. Cut eggs for presentation and enjoy.
The Honest Cooking editorial team handpicks inspiring culinary stories to share with you that we think are beautiful. As an international online culinary magazine with the ambition to truly change the face of online food media we hope to create an inspiring place for serious culinary debate, salivating recipes, interesting food news and international food-fun.