PARTNER POST: We’ve teamed up with Bonne Maman to bring you the best homemade breakfast and brunch recipes to show Mom you care this Mother’s Day and all spring long.
Show Mom the love this Mother’s Day with a delicious sweet and savory breakfast toast. Brie and apricot preserves on the bottom and spiralized apple and leek sauté on top, it’s an easy and elegant breakfast in bed dish.
Mother’s Day was always a special time in our house when we were young.
It was a chance to spend the morning in the kitchen with our dad, making breakfast in bed for my mom.
The breakfasts were never grand – simple bacon, eggs, toast, a side of fruit, and a cup of juice. It was the whole act of putting the breakfast together, plating it on a tray complete with a flower in a vase, that made the occasion special.
If I were to make breakfast in bed for Mom today, I would do things a bit differently.
Sweet. Savory. Cheese. Preserves. Spiralized. All in one dish on one plate in the form of a simple, yet elegant breakfast toast.
One of the “sweet” aspects of this breakfast toast is a thick slather of Bonne Maman Apricot Preserves.
Bonne Maman is a staple in our house. Not only because of its high-quality flavor and texture, but also because Bonne Maman preserves are Non-GMO Project Verified, have no high fructose corn syrup, no artificial coloring or no preservatives added.
The subtle sweetness of the apricot preserves softens the onion-like sharpness of the leeks, balances the creamy richness of the Brie, and complements the fresh juiciness of the spiralized apple.
All the ingredients, when piled high on a slice of lightly toasted gluten-free toast, create a dreamy dish that satisfies both the sweet and savory aspects of breakfast.
Enter to WIN in this Bonne Maman giveaway ever! Click the image below.
For more recipe ideas, check out these fun toasts.
Gluten Free Apricot, Apple and Leek Breakfast ToastStephanie Kirkos
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 leek sliced into half moons
- 1 apple spiralized into thin noodles
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 slices gluten-free bread lightly toasted
- 4-5 thick slices of Brie cheese
- 4-5 tbsp Bonne Maman Apricot Preserves
- 2 tbsp finely chopped walnuts
- Trim the leek, removing the tough end and the green stalk. Slice in half lengthwise, then into half moons. Wash thoroughly to remove any dirt.
- Wash and slice off the ends from one large apple. Using a spiralizer kitchen tool, spiralize the apple into thin noodles. Alternatively, you can thinly slice if a spiralizer isn't available. Place apple noodles in a bowl with a teaspoon of lemon juice, to prevent browning.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the leek slices and stir to coat. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- Add the apple noodles to the skillet, tossing together with the leek slices to combine (tongs are useful for this). Cook 1-2 minutes until softened. Remove from heat.
- Slice 4-5 thick slabs of Brie cheese. Finely chop walnuts. Set aside.
- Lightly toast your choice of gluten-free bread.
- Assemble the breakfast toast. First, layer the Brie over each slice of toast. Top with a generous amount of Bonne Maman Apricot Preserves. Next, layer a pile of cooked apple and leek over top. Garnish with crushed walnuts.
- Serve immediately (to Mom - in bed!)
Steph is an adventurous foodie, cooking class connoisseur, former military brat, and newlywed eating and blogging from Boston. With her blog, Steph in Thyme, she explores creative, delicious, and wholesome approaches to gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan fare to inspire a healthy lifestyle.