PARTNER POST: We’ve teamed up with Bonne Maman to bring you the best homemade breakfast and brunch recipes to show Mom you care this Mother’s Day and all spring long.
Instead of pancakes, make a batch of these savory bacon and corn fritters topped with a cool and sweet apricot yogurt sauce.
I am all about the sweet and savory together. Yes, that’s why I love chocolate covered pretzels but it’s also why I like apple tarts baked with cheddar cheese, sweet fruit compotes over brie and maple syrup on bacon. And I know just where I get this particular set of taste buds, too. Yup, just like mom. So it makes sense that I make a sweet and savory treat for her for Mother’s Day, right?
Pancakes are great and we all love them but I wanted something more savory to pair with a sweet flavor. I came up with corn fritters with plenty of actual corn kernels, cornmeal and bacon in the mix. They’re really good just on their own but really great with just a hint of sweet.
Mixing plain Greek yogurt with fruit preserves is pretty much a regular snack occurrence in my house. And it’s also a flavor combo I learned to love from my mother.
Just like the corn fritters, it’s great on its own but amazing on top of those fritters. You can use any flavor of preserves that you like and, honestly, I like them all. No lie, if you open my refrigerator at any given time, you will see at least three different flavor jars of my favorite Bonne Maman preserves at any given time. But mom’s favorite is apricot and always has been. So, apricot it will be for these fritters. Enjoy!
Bonne Maman is giving away a gorgeous 12-piece set of Le Creuset cookware plus many other goodies (over 1,000 prizes!) on their website. Click below to enter! Who doesn’t love beautiful cookware?!
For more recipe ideas, check out these fun toasts.
Bacon and Corn Fritters with Apricot Yogurt SauceAnita Schecter
- 1 Cup flour
- 1/2 Cup cornmeal
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Cup corn kernels
- 1/4 Cup chopped parsley
- 4 Slices cooked bacon crumbled
- Oil for frying
- 1 Cup plain Greek style yogurt
- 1/4 Cup Bonne Maman Apricot preserves
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, baking powder, baking soda, honey, salt and pepper. Stir in the corn kernels, parsley and most of the crumbled bacon but leave some for topping.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and scoop fritters into the pan (approximately 1/2 cup of batter each). Fry on medium to medium high heat for about 5 minutes on each side or until they are lightly golden brown. Sprinkle on the remaining bacon.
- Swirl together the Greek yogurt and apricot preserves and serve alongside the cooked fritters.