Add charred eggplant to a cannellini bean hummus for a delicious smokey dip.
By Ashley Melillo
To make this hummus, you’ll start by charring a whole eggplant over a grill pan or grill. Before grilling it, you’ll use a fork to pierce it all over; this allows the steam to vent out and the smokiness from the char to seep in.
Once the eggplant is thoroughly charred and ultra tender, you’ll plop it in a bowl to let it cool and steam itself a bit more. Eventually, you’ll blend it in with a cannellini bean hummus for a stellar appetizer.
Charred Eggplant HummusAshley Melillo
- 1 large eggplant approximately 22 ounces or 650 grams
- 1 can cannellini beans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and roughly chopped
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- Heat a grill pan or grill over high. Use a fork to prick the eggplant 15-20 times. Place the eggplant on the grill and char on all sides, turning every few minutes, until blackened and very tender. This process takes about 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer the eggplant to a bowl and cool for 15 minutes.
- Once the eggplant is cool, transfer to a cutting board and reserve the smoky liquid that collected in the bowl. Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise, and use a spoon scoop out the inner flesh, leaving only the stem and charred skin behind. Transfer the flesh to the bowl of a food processor along with the reserved liquid, cannellini beans, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, smoked paprika, and sea salt. Pulse a few times and then process for 3 to 4 minutes or until as smooth as desired, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Transfer to a bowl and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil (optional), black pepper, and smoked paprika. Serve with sliced veggies, seeded bread, pita chips, crackers, etc.
Ashley Melillo is the creator of Blissful Basil, a blog dedicated to unearthing the happiest side of life through wholesome, plant-based foods. Being a school psychologist and food blogger, Ashley incorporates a wide array of health-enhancing ingredients into her recipes with the hope of guiding others on their path towards improved well-being.