These sweet and tender poached pears look beautiful as the saffron releases the golden yellow colour tones during poaching. With a slight scent of honey and a crunch of pistachios, the pears a delicious sweet treat.
By Ann Low
These sweet and tender poached pears look beautiful as the saffron releases the golden yellow colour tones during poaching. On top of this, the poached pears were delicious with a slight scent of honey. I also sprinkled some chopped pistachio nuts before serving not only to impress my guest with a nice presentation but also a give little crunch to the soft poached pears.
- ½ tsp Saffron threads
- 700ml Water
- 175g Sugar
- 2 slices Young ginger
- lemon zest from one lemon
- 3 tbsp Lemon juice
- 4-5 medium size Firm pears, peeled with stalks left on
- Combine water, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, ginger and saffron in a medium size pot. Turn up heat and stirring until sugar dissolves. Peel pears with stalks left on and into the saffron liquid and cover with lid. Simmer for about 30-40 minutes, turning occasionally until pears are tender but not mushy. (test pear with a skewer).
- Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl. Increase heat and boil poaching liquid reduce to almost half.
- Pour syrup over pears, leave to cool and chill for few hours or till next day.
- To serve, place poached pear on serving plate, drizzle over a little saffron syrup and garnish with some chopped pistachio nuts.