This cajun catfish sandwich is cooked with the blackened technique and topped with a sweet and tangy pineapple slaw.
These tasty light sandwiches make Jackie and I think of summer and sitting with our toes in the sand.
We specifically chose catfish for our sandwiches, but this recipe will work for any fish fillet. Catfish used to have a stigma of being a dirty, bottom-dwelling fish that would scare people away. Today, most catfish is farm-raised and has a great fresh, light flavor. It has a similar texture to sole or perch. Jackie and I have always been partial to catfish, and have tried this recipe with other fish, but we always return to our favorite.
When you read this recipe, it may sound a little spicy. Do not be afraid. The addition of mayonnaise in the dressing and the pineapple and cabbage slaw mixes well and keeps the heat level to a minimum. We recommend a cold beer or a margarita to accompany this sandwich, as it will be sure to transport you to the beach as well.
Click here for the slaw recipe.Print
Cajun Catfish Sandwich with Slaw
A light and flaky fish sandwich with has a little heat, however the pineapple slaw helps keep the mouth refreshed.
- Author: Superman Cooks
- Category: Main
- 2 ea 8 ounce catfish filets
- 2 tbsp cajun or blackening spice
- 2 Ciabatta buns
For the slaw:
- 1 C shredded red cabbage
- ½ C fresh diced pineapple
- 1/4 C diced red pepper
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- juice of a lemon
- 1 tbsp sugar
For the sauce:
- Click the link above for the recipe.
To make the slaw:
- Soak the red cabbage in cold water for 10 minutes, then drain.
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- To make the sauce, simply combine ingredients.
To make the fish:
- Heat a heavy bottom pan on stove on high heat.
- Coat both sides of catfish with cajun and spice heavily.
- Place catfish in high heated pan and allow to set for 4 minutes and then flip over and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Keep oven vent on and windows open as this may create smoke. This is ok the fish will cook perfectly.
- Assemble sandwich with slaw and red pepper tartar sauce and then cut fish in half and suck on bun.
We met on a warm summer evening. His square jaw and engaging smile reminded me a bit of Clark Kent. We share a passion for life: music, baseball, and especially food. He makes me feel like I can fly. Welcome to our exploration of food, recipes and ideas that celebrates our life together. He creates the recipes and prepares the food, and I am the documentarian. My superman can cook! Check out our site, Superman Cooks.