According to the Tao Restaurant Group’s Egghead, melted caramelized cheese, spicy chorizo and golden Jidori eggs are the star ingredients to make an egg-celent recipe aka El Chapo. Just in time for Cinco de Mayo.
El Chapo is a unique cheesy quesadilla made by Executive Chef Jason Hall and the Egghead team. Launching on Cinco De Mayo 2018, the cheesy egg-centric quesadilla – El Chapo will be kicking off Egghead’s late night menu.
Tao Restaurant Group’s Egghead is an “egg-centric” sandwich shop located at New York City’s Moxy Hotel in Times Square. The eatery that transforms the mundane, typical NYC breakfast classic (bagel and cream cheese) into an egg-celent one. The shop primarily offers breakfast sandwiches with a strong emphasis on eggs such as “The Classic”. It’s Egghead’s signature dish, consisting of Kennebec potato brioche, egg, bacon, American cheese, tomato, shallots and aioli, with all ingredients sourced from upstate New York farms.
See below for the egg-celent recipe.
- 4 (12-inch flour tortillas)
- 2 cups queso chihuahua cheese, grated
- 4 large Jidori eggs
- 1lb fresh chorizo sausage,(despanabrandfoods preferred)
- 1 spanish onion, julienne
- 1 poblano pepper, julienne
- 1 serrano chili, small dice
- 3 pc Roasted Piquiilo Pepper,
- 2 cup canned Black Beans
- 1 TBS Mexican Oregano
- 1 tsp Chili Piquin
- Butter (for spreading)
- In a medium fry pan cook the chorizo while breaking up into chunks with a spatula and render for 10 Min, add the onion, peppers, chili, oregano, cook for 15 min until soft. Add the beans and cook out all of the liquid.
- While the chorizo is cooking, whisk the eggs and a little bit of salt and pepper in a bowl. Scramble the eggs in with the chorizo mixture.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet or griddle to medium-high heat. Butter one side of a flour tortilla. Cook the flour tortilla for 20 seconds then remove from pan.
- In the same pan drop ½ cup per quesadilla of the cheese directly into the pan. When the Cheese begins to melt, add the chorizo and egg mixture to the melted cheese and press with the toasted side of single quesadilla. Once the cheese is golden brown, carefully flip it and fold into a half moon.
- Toast on both sides and serve with your favorite condiment.
With a menu boasting of classic and contemporary comfort food and conveniently located on street level, facing 7th Avenue. Egghead attracts both tourists and neighborhood locals. Make your egg-centric visit at 485 7th Ave New York, NY 10018