The dish: El Chapo, is a cheesy quesadilla that is made in a very unique way. First, cheese is melted direct on the griddle until the cheese caramelizes (think like the cheese on a good French onion soup). Then, we add spicy chorizo, green onion and Egghead’s signature Jidori eggs.
- 4 12-inch flour tortillas
- 2 cups queso chihuahua cheese (grated)
- 4 large Jidori eggs
- 1 lb fresh chorizo sausage ((despanabrandfoods preferred))
- 1 spanish onion (julienne)
- 1 poblano pepper (julienne)
- 1 serrano chili (small dice)
- 3 pc Roasted Piquiilo Pepper
- 2 cup canned Black Beans
- 1 TBS Mexican Oregano
- 1 tsp Chili Piquin
- Butter (for spreading)
- In a medium fry pan cook the chorizo while breaking up into chunks with a spatula and render for 10 Min, add the onion, peppers, chili, oregano, cook for 15 min until soft. Add the beans and cook out all of the liquid.
- While the chorizo is cooking, whisk the eggs and a little bit of salt and pepper in a bowl. Scramble the eggs in with the chorizo mixture.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet or griddle to medium-high heat. Butter one side of a flour tortilla. Cook the flour tortilla for 20 seconds then remove from pan.
- In the same pan drop ½ cup per quesadilla of the cheese directly into the pan. When the Cheese begins to melt, add the chorizo and egg mixture to the melted cheese and press with the toasted side of single quesadilla. Once the cheese is golden brown, carefully flip it and fold into a half moon.
- Toast on both sides and serve with your favorite condiment.
- Category: Comfort Food
- Cuisine: Comfort Food