As a side dish or light lunch, this turmeric cauliflower is roasted in whole steak slices an served with an easy avocado-yogurt sauce. A bright, flavorful, veggie meal.
Last weekend I was trying to have a little fun with our lunch (read: I made a special trip to the grocery store, then I made a huge mess in the kitchen, and then I took photos, and then we could finally eat. Thank goodness my husband is patient)
I love a goddess/buddha/wellness/whathaveyou bowl as much as the next person (see: so many of my past recipes); but it’s nice to depart from the template every once in a while!
I roasted cauliflower steaks after rubbing them with salt, olive oil and turmeric, and served them atop my current favorite kitchen secret weapon: an easy yogurt sauce made in a blender or food processor full of herbs, avocado, jalapeño and more. Dave and I each ate two slices of roasted cauliflower – it was so good! And it was a light lunch that was not light on flavor.
If you are thinking you’d like a little more rib-stickiness to this meal, I’d add a cup of cooked whole grains – barley, quinoa or freekeh would be delish. Trust me, you’ll have enough sauce, if you can stop from eating it with a spoon!
Click here for the avocado sauce recipe.Print
Turmeric Cauliflower and Creamy Avocado-Yogurt Sauce
- 1 whole head cauliflower (cut into thick slices)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Click the link above for the recipe.
- 2 oz. feta cheese (crumbled)
- 2 tbsp. chopped pistachios
- 1 tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On a sheet pan, toss turmeric, salt and olive oil with cauliflower slices, coating them well. Arrange in a single layer. Add the cherry tomatoes to the same sheet pan. Roast until the cauliflower is fork-tender and has some nice browning.
- Meanwhile, blend the yogurt, avocado, lime juice, jalapeño and a pinch of salt together in a high-powered blender or food processor. Adjust the thickness with water if you desire.
- Serve the roasted cauliflower and tomatoes on top of some of the avocado sauce, a few tablespoons. Top the entire plate with feta, pistachios and cilantro.
I'm the writer and photographer at PDXfoodlove.com. I love living in Portland, Oregon and the lifestyle in the beautiful Pacific Northwest.