A lovely creamy autumn soup with the ingredient we all love right now.
By Tamara Novacoviç
I continue to celebrate pumpkins in my kitchen, I truly enjoy these orange-colored autumn gifts. After baking a lovely pumpkin cheesecake, my body craved for some comforting soup (days are getting really cold here). I love butternut squash and its sweet bright orange meat. It’s probably my favorite pumpkin (I call them all pumpkins), perfect for desserts and soups.
I generally enjoy thick and creamy vegetable soups and I have a habit of roasting vegetables before turning them into soups because they release all their lovely juices and flavors. I recently visited Italy, where I bought, among other goodies, balsamic cream. Perfection. I poured some over butternut and, together with some other spices and roasted it. Its meat turned soft, it released beautiful flavor and combined with some thyme, sea salt and basil it turned into a great seasonal soup.
- 2.2 lb (1 kilo) butternut squash)
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- olive oil
- a bit of balsamic cream
- a few basil leaves
- some thyme
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 2 cups (250 ml) vegetable stock
- 0.4 cups (100 ml) heavy cream
- Cut butternut squash into small pieces and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with some sea salt, pepper, thyme and basil leaves. Pour some olive oil and balsamic cream over it and bake for about 40 minutes at 392 F (200 C).
- Take out roasted squash and let cool slightly. Spoon out its meat.
- Heat some olive oil and saute finely chopped onion and garlic. Add squash, stock and salt and pepper if needed. Add some more thyme and cook. When it boils, remove from heat and process in blender until smooth. Return to heat, add heavy cream and cook for 5 more minutes.
Tamara Novakovic is a passionate self-taught cook, food blogger, freelance food writer and photographer behind bite-my-cake.blogspot.com. Her life journey has led her through Faculty of Humanities in Zagreb, Croatia to discovering passion for making cakes. She is currently a weekly food columnist for Croatian newspaper V magazine and food magazine Repete.