Sweet pea pods and avocado round out this fresh citrus salad. Tossed with a toasted sesame dressing, this salad is a colorful way to celebrate the first lettuces of spring.
By Sherron Watson
- 2 cups of baby Arugula, washed
- 1 small grapefruit, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium orange, peeled and sliced
- 1 avocado, halved and sliced
- 1 slice of red onion
- ½ cup sweet pea pods
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Fresh herbs (optional)
- 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- a few drops of toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of honey
- salt and pepper
- Arrange grapefruit and orange slices around the edge of your plate.
- In a small bowl, toss together onion, avocado, sweet pea pods and any fresh herbs that you wish to use. I used a few leaves of fresh mint.
- Fill the center of the citrus ring with the salad mixture.
- Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on salad.
- Serve with Toasted Sesame Seed salad dressing.
- For salad dressing I combined grapefruit juice, orange juice, a few drops of toasted sesame oil, olive oil, honey and seasoned with salt and pepper. Whisk together and pour over salad.
Sherron Watson is a writer and photographer. Her passion for food started at a young age while working with her family in their restaurant business. A career in photography gave her the experience she needed to start capturing images of her favorite dishes. This led to the creation of her blog: simply-gourmet.com. She is currently a food writer for Capital Style Magazine in Annapolis, MD.