Creamy, crispy avocado tacos with fresh pineapple salsa and a creamy chipotle sauce. The perfect vegetarian combo for your next taco night.
I used to think that tacos weren’t all that easy to make vegetarian. Chickpeas are better suited for gyros and tofu tends to scare off the meat eaters with whom you may share a dinner table. But when I came across Minimalist Baker’s vegan avocado tacos, I knew there was hope for the vegetarian taco. So today we’re nixing the faux-meats and throwing in some crispy avocados!
I used to always bake my avocados, but after recently getting an air fryer I’ve changed my ways! Air frying your avocados makes them so much crispier, while cooking them a lot faster. But feel free to use either method for these avocado tacos!
It looks complicated, but I promise it’s simple. Throw pineapple, tomato, some peppers, and spices into a food processor and blitz. Salsa, done. Then we’ll coat our avocado slices with a traditional flour – egg – panko combo and either bake or air fry them. Finally, whip together a tangy, creamy chipotle sauce. Toss it all onto a flour tortilla (or hard shell if that’s your style), fold in half, enter taco heaven.
Baked Crispy Avocado Tacos
Avocado slices coated in panko crumbs are baked in an oven or an air fryer, then the tacos are topped with a fresh pineapple salsa and a creamy chipotle sauce.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main Course, Tacos
- Cuisine: Mexican, Mexican Inspired
- 1 avocado, ripe
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1 cup diced panko crumbs
- pinch each salt and pepper
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1 cup finely chopped or crushed pineapple
- 1 roma tomato, finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 jalapeno, finely diced
- pinch each, cumin and salt
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/4 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp adobo sauce from a jar of chipotle peppers
FOR THE SALSA
- Combine all Salsa ingredients (finely chop by hand or blitz in the food processor), cover, and set in fridge.
FOR THE TACOS
- Cut avocado in half lengthwise and remove pit. Place avocado skin side down and cut each half into 4 equal sized pieces, then gently peel the skin off of each.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C) or air fryer to 375°F (190°C). Arrange your workspace so you have a bowl of flour, a bowl of whisked egg, a bowl of panko with salt and pepper mixed in, and a parchment-lined baking sheet at the end.
- Dip each avocado slice first in the flour, then egg, then panko. Place on the prepared baking sheet and either bake or air fry for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking, until lightly browned.
FOR THE SAUCE
- While avocados are cooking, combine all sauce ingredients.
- Spoon salsa onto a tortilla, top with 2 pieces of avocado, and drizzle with sauce. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Keywords: avocado, tacos, tacos, avocado, tuesday
An Alaskan self-taught cook and nutritionist by trade, I love all things food and health. When I'm not exploring new ways to cook up healthy ingredients, I'm romping around the Netherlands, my new stomping grounds!