In Nagalakshmi Viswanathan’s book, this stands as one of the best South Indian breakfasts you can get.
By Nagalakshmi Viswanathan
- 1 cup of whole, skinned, urad dal
- 2 of green chillies, chopped
- 2 tsp of whole, black pepper
- 10-12 of curry leaves, torn roughly
- 2 tsp of salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp of minced ginger (optional)
- 4 cups of oil, to deep fry, depending on the size of your pan
- - Soak the urad dal for at least 45 mins in enough water.
- - Grind adding water by the teaspoon until you have a smooth, thick batter that falls off with reluctance as you drop it off a spoon.
- - Mix the rest of the ingredients (except oil) with the batter.
- - Heat oil until smoking point
- - Shape the vadai using wet hands into a donut shape (read notes)
- - Dunk into the hot oil. Take care not to over crowd the pan and also, regulate the heat to medium-low so that the insides of the vadai get cooked and the outside crisps up.
- - Drain and set aside.