This puff pastry-like flatbread gets it’s name from a legendary tragic love story between a general named Aga Bakar and dancer named Khani Begum.
By Lail Hossain
This puff pastry-like flatbread gets it's name from a legendary tragic love story between a general named Aga Bakar and dancer named Khani Begum.
Author: Lail Hossain
Recipe Type: Baking
- 2 cups flour, plus more for spreading on the dough during the rolling process
- ¼ cup mawa
- ¼ cup ghee/clarified butter, plus more for spreading on the dough during the rolling process
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ⅔ cups + 3 tablespoon water
- Sesame seeds, to sprinkle
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- ½ cup powdered milk
Steps to make mawa(cheese dust):
- Heat butter in a nonstick pan over medium low heat.
- Once butter melts, add the dry powdered milk.
- Stir constantly to form a coarse dust and until slightly golden and aromatic. Set aside.
- An alternate way of making mawa : Cook chana in low heat until it changes color to slightly golden. Cool completely and grind in a food processor to a coarse dust.
Steps to prepare bakarkhani:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make dough with flour, mawa, salt, sugar and ghee. Add the water little by little, about a tablespoonful at a time to make a stretchy dough.
- Knead well and cover with a wet cloth or wet paper towel for at least 30 minutes.
- Apply some ghee over the dough and keep aside for another ten to fifteen minutes.
- Apply ghee on a long rolling board and a rolling pin.
- Divide the dough into two portions.
- Roll the dough as thin as possible in the long board without adding any flour.
- Take some ghee on our fingers and spread over the rolled dough.
- Sprinkle some flour over the oil so spreading the flour dries out the oil.
- Apply ghee, and then spread flour evenly one more time.
- Fold the dough into half and apply the ghee and flour spreading process twice as step 8 to 10.
- Fold the dough for the second time and repeat the ghee and flour spreading process twice.
- Gently roll the dough. Take small balls from the roll and roll in into small breads.
- Repeat steps 7 to 13 with the second dough.
- Make three cuts with a knife for each piece.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on each bread piece.
- Bake 22-25 minutes or until it light brown.